Tuesday 9 March 2010

Jenny Holzer, you old sage!

Little did I know on attending the Baltic that I had already experienced Jenny on a trip to Venice. The above blurred image shows the exact installation I witnessed at the ripe age of 18. The difference between then and now? I actually bothered to find out what her work is actually about this time, and I find her slightly dated. That isn't to say i don't appreciate her work, or her intent. Her work to me said, very good for her time. Still very engaging and holds a depth that very much made me believe she was an impressive artist (unlike Damien Hirst who is just a terrible exploiter of the modern art world - he can go away soon please)
Looking at her work as a way of presenting her thought paths, her ideas recognised in such a fashion, I actually thought I took quite a lot from her exhibition. The human bones coupled with engraved metal rings, once I understood they referenced rape victims in the Yugoslavia war, and that even the position of the rings meaning you could only read a little of the text, represented how not all the information from these victims had been portrayed/released. Hmmmm....I'm thinking. I have seen many things in my time design wise, experienced lots, now I am seeing how Interactive Media Design (whoop) linked with Artistic thinking (Hmmm) can almost form the ultimate creative design. Is anybody following that? Certainly makes me think anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment