Sunday 20 December 2009

Ramble about posters, I would




Ok so yesterday was the poster crit, and it was interesting, enough to keep me awake anyway. Some of the ideas made me think, especially the euthanasia and the anti BNP ones. I think overall as a feedback session some people didn't get as much credit as they deserved, I think reflecting on different work in such a short period of time can make you lose objectiveness especially when you have a run of decent designs. I think as a themed topic a lot of the posters failed to make a significant impact, mine included, but then I think that is a fault with the brief as it didn't specify that the posters should flow or have any sort of coherence. Having said that, because the brief wasn't that specific it did allow me to explore different avenues further down the line that arguably resulted in me producing some of my most successful posters. Due to the nature of my presentation I didn't really get any group feedback that was useful. By that I mean as I talked through my work I highlighted the problems with some of the design choices and also the strengths and weaknesses of each poster so there was little else my course mates could have commented upon. That isn't to say I am an all seeing, all knowing poster designer, it's simply I am my biggest critic no matter how fiercely from time to time I will defend my design choice, but also because I have reasonable graphic design knowledge for a first year student. Nooowwww, why the naked picture? Male buttocks? It is because through quite an open presentation I got some decent relaxed feedback from the group, one idea in particular was that with the photographed field poster, it could have been realized by having a row of people holding hands and running through the field naked. I'm not going to go into the reasons why that would be effective as I've written enough already, but I was pleased with the way my presentation interacted with the group and made a few people respond. At the end of the day, that is the point of propaganda right? making people react? Super duper, and on one last note there are 2 impressive illustrators on our course who I would say should be encouraged to pursue their traditional methods. If anything their designs deteriorate when put into digital format, however much I celebrate digital tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator, I would love to have that kind of natural drawing ability and interactive media design...I don't think they will realize their true potential on this course.I think that is a shame as Rachel and James are impressive artists. FIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment